As you probably know OMGTea’s organic matcha green tea has 15x the nutritional value of normal green tea. It also contains 3x as much L-theanine as normal green tea. Why is this so important? And what in the world is L-theanine?
L-theanine is an amino acid which promotes alpha brain wave production. It has a similar effect on the brain to that of meditation, you know, that relaxed but focused feeling you get. This is why the Buddhist monks have been drinking matcha for 800 years, it enhances meditation and yoga. You want some matcha now, don’t you!
Well, there’s more:
- You will notice a boost in your memory and focus (who doesn’t need that!)
- Several studies have shown that it may improve mood, by boosting serotonin and dopamine
Also, some studies have shown it reduces cognitive decline, so L-theanine can prevent and treat Alzheimer’s disease
Why does matcha contain more L-theanine than normal green tea?
Matcha comes from the same green tea plant as normal green tea. However, before it’s harvested the plant is covered in 90% darkness, which encourages the plant to produce more chlorophyll to make up for the lack of sunlight. This, therefore, makes the leaves rich in amino acids, such as L-theanine, making the chlorophyll rise to the top and turning the leave a beautiful emerald green, like our matcha powder!
This is why we love it so matcha 💚
We know you love matcha as much as we do, but we wanted to tell you why we should ALL drink the emerald green elixir:
1. Improves Concentration, Memory & Focus
As we all know Zen Buddhist monks have been drinking matcha green tea for over 800 years, 800 years!! This is because it enhances meditation allowing them to relax their mind but remain energised. This is all down to L-theanine, a little amino acid contained in the emerald leaves. Now, for alert relaxation, you need L-theanine to boost alpha brain waves. Even better L-theanine increases the production of dopamine and serotonin, the chemicals which enhance mood, focus, concentration and memory!
Tip: Drink before a Yoga session for ultimate concentration
2. High in Antioxidants
You’ve heard about these, they are the ones who fight off all the bad stuff in your body, like viruses and diseases, detoxifying your body. These antioxidants are rich in polyphenols, most of which are catechins, EGCG is one of the most important of all, and guess what, matcha is super rich in EGCG!
Tip: matcha can have 200x the amount of EGCG as regular green tea.
3. Easy to Make
We cannot stress this enough!
You can use the lovely bamboo whisk, but really all you need is an electric whisk – which you already have – a teaspoon and a tea strainer or sieve!
1: Heat up some water to 80°C
2: Put 1tsp of OMGTea matcha green tea in a bowl
3: Pour a small amount of water and whisk into a paste, top it up with some more water and you’re done!
Tip: Add some Oat Milk and a drop of Vanilla essence for ultimate goodness
4. Aids Weightloss
Matcha is able to increase the body’s ability to burn fat. But don’t take our word for it, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition ran a study which showed that green tea increases the rate at which your body burns calories. Useful right?
Tip: Another study found that matcha can increase your metabolism, so if you drink it before exercise, you can burn 25% more fat!
Buy now at OMGTea
Shake your shamrocks, it’s St Patrick’s Day! ☘
Did you know that St Patrick’s Day is celebrated in more countries around the world than any other festival? And lucky us it’s customary to wear green too! On that note, do you know why our matcha is so green? Because of the intense production of chlorophyll, which makes the leaves rich in amino acids; we harvest the most tender, emerald green leaves from the top third of the plant, that’s why we’re best! It’s not easy being green.
So, you see why we are extra keen to celebrate it. Of course, we know that this festival is associated with alcohol, parades and Irish music. However, we’re going to tweak tradition slightly and ‘wet the shamrock’ in our matcha. If unlike us you are going to follow tradition and drink your heart out in Guinness, always remember that your lucky charm, matcha will be your helping hand in the morning. If you want to make full use of this nutrient-packed pot of gold, then follow us to see how to make the greatest hangover cure ever! Don’t worry there’s vodka in it. Phew.
How will matcha help your hangover you ask? Well because matcha has the most powerful antioxidants known to occur naturally. Antioxidants are those extraordinary little miracle workers which fight viruses and diseases and protect your body from toxins. This, together with caffeine and chlorophyll will support the detoxification of your liver.
So, have fun, be safe and may the luck be with you.
P.S We hope you loved our puns ☘
Spring into spring with matcha!
Do the right spring and nourish your body with the detoxing dream that is matcha green tea and you will flourish. Spring is the most delightful season, its time for daffodils and hope in the air or in most places, snow. But have no fear, the ice will soon start melting and make the ground warmer, the wind kinder, and the sky brighter.
Today we are making a life of 3 things we can do with the new found, extra hours of daylight. Skipping in the park to up the heart rate, walking the dog the long way round for the view, painting in the garden until sunset (we might have to wear gloves around the paintbrush, but its the though that counts), making a homemade broth out of the vegetables grown in the garden (or from the local supermarket, not all of us have award winning veggie patches), walking to a friend or relatives house after work instead of driving and taking in the sights, even just reading a book by the window for a few extra hours. Whatever you can think of, adopt it, make it yours, and flourish in the rays of more sunlight. And hey, maybe we’ll catch a bit of a glow in the process.
Why is spring so good?
🌻 Exposure to sunlight triggers your body to produce the vitamin D3 and serotonin which keeps your bones strong and makes you happier.
🌻Spring equinox means our little Earth is perfectly aligned with the sun. That means more day to do things and fewer nights to be cold in.
🌻All the animals return. After fleeing south for a warmer winter the wildlife makes a jolly return. So there will be more birds chirping outside your window, and more squirrel to steal your sandwiches in the park.
🌻 Trees are no longer naked. Spring sparks growth in plants and leaves making trees, parks and woodland areas leafy and blooming with life! And we all know that plants allow us to breathe easier and cleaner. So it’s a win-win.
🌻 Fruit and veggies are sprouting. The soil is now succulent enough for plant-based foods to shoot up through the ground and into our kitchens. Hoorah for fresh fruit and veg.
🌻 Spring cleaning! There’s no better time to pick up the broom and put on a long floaty dress and pretend you’re Cinderella. De-dust, de-clutter and de-home any items that you know you defiantly didn’t wear throughout the winter. If it hasn’t seen the winter winds, donate it to charity so it can feel the spring sun on another lucky person’s back. Donating clothes is good for beating the fast fashion industry, giving to those who are in need, and promoting a sense of a new beginning in your own life.
Happy Spring matcha lovers, we hope that however, you start your spring, that its filled with light and laughter.
This photo is a credit of @koko_secretrainbowpath on Instagram.
Stay up to date with our spring social stream on our OMGTEA Instagram.
You’re probably thinking: why am I reading this? I know how to breathe, I do it every day and don’t even think about it, it’s not even conscious. Hold up. That, right there is the problem. “It’s not even conscious”. Without delving wildly into the minefield that is the mindfulness taboo (don’t be scared, it really is very easy) we are here to teach you how to breathe. Consciously.
Try it now. Breathe normally. How does that feel? You tried a bit harder, didn’t you? Now this time, really think about sucking the air into your lungs. Better? Breathing properly helps with sleep, digestion, energy, sport, your heart, nervous system and your brain. So all the good bits!
Types of breathing
Ujjayi breathing activates the first and second chakras and used regularly in yoga practice. It has also been referred to as the ‘ocean breathe’. It’s a diaphragmatic breathing that fills the lower stomach, then flows up to the rib cage and ends in the upper throat. Inhale & exhale both through the nose, whilst making a constricted sound in the throat (imagine your breathing onto a mirror to steam it) Measure the breathes equally in time to suit your rhythm, so as not to cause stress to the body or mind. Ujjayi breathing activates the first and second chakras.
Deep hold breathing:
Find a place where you can preferably sit or lie silently to 5-20 minutes for maximum results.
- 1. Inhale, to the count of 5
- 2. Hold breath, to the count of 7
- 3. Exhale, to the count of 9
Repeat 10 times until you feel a sense of deep relaxation.
- Find a comfortable meditative pose.
- Hold one hand on your chest and one the other place on your stomach.
- Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose and feel your diaphragm expand, drawing in air and inflating your lungs. Your chest should not be rising.
- Take 10 deep, calming breaths a day to notice restoration in your sense of wellbeing.
In order to breathe mindfully, you need to attempt to begin tuning into your body natural rhythm, this may be hard at first, but eventually should be calming and not feel forced or stressful on the lungs or diaphragm. The aim is to not be practising shallow breathing, which has been linked to anxiety. All natural forces have rhythm, become one!
Congratulations. You can now breathe your way into good health.
“I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart. I am, I am, I am.”
― Sylvia Plath,
Have you met your matcha yet?
It’s Valentines Day 2018. Times are hard. Beards can hide all manner of sins and women are busy being women. It can feel utterly impossible to seek out your matcha made in heaven.
No-one knows if love is down too tinder algorithms, matcha-matics, or doing your best matcha-rena in the bar on Saturday nights. Finding the one is not easy.
But what if you had to look no further? This Valentines day, (no offence St. Valentino), we are practising the art of self-adoration. You don’t have to be single to get on board with this. Singletons, married, or still finding your feet- you’re all welcome to try. Wear your best top, light the expensive candle, and use the bath bomb you’re saving for a ‘special occasion’.
You are the special occasion & today is the special day. Life is far too short to not find yourself attractive. The more attractive you find yourself, the more confidence you will radiate. Fact.
All that really matters, is that you love yourself very matcha. Everyday. Treat yourself frequently, and invest in your body. A great way to do this is to start drinking matcha green tea regularly as it is packed full of amino acids, dopamine & L-theanine that makes you feel gooey, wonderful & full of love.
Words of advice on self-love:
- BEAUTY. When you look in the mirror, however often this may be, SMILE. It might make you laugh, but that’s a good thing! Studies have shown that individuals who smile are instantly more attractive. Think about the super-sonically smiley person who you know, aren’t they wonderful?
- BOSSING IT. Believe, boss, behave. To love yourself, you have to believe there’s a reason to. Write a list of 5 things you like about yourself, this is very hard in a world where self-promotion is frowned upon. You can throw away the list (or burn it) after. But, starting your internal computer to look at the positives in yourself is a step in the right direction. Bossing it, male or female, job or hobby, make sure you’re bossing it. Feel like you’re doing your best, and trying 100% will boost your confidence and radiate through to others leaving colleagues and friends thinking; “Wow, isn’t he/she extraordinary today.” Behave? This one hard. We’re referring to behaving in the non-literal sense, like, doing positive things and activities, e.g., dancing, singing, learning a new skill, helping a friend move in, instead of negatives activities, eg. Drinking, smoking, not tidying, talking behind peoples backs. If you feel like you’re doing positive things, and speaking about others positively, you will be oozingingly in love with yourself. <—- This is the best thing you can do for yourself.
- FAMILY. Embrace and think mindfully about where you come from, and what makes you, you. Noting down all the aspects of ‘self’ is a useful tip when thinking about who you are and where you come from. Example: Student? Teacher? Mother? Sister? Intern? Yoga lover? Cat obsessed? Workaholic? Artists?
- OTHERS. Caring for others, and showing strangers attention, and loved ones affection is certain to boost your mood too! Join us, the positivi-tea brand, and spread the love today. Make someone else day, to make yours.
That’s quite enough matcha puns for now. Bamboo whisk yourself off your own feet! 🍵
#Selflove #Matcha #Galentinesday #Valentinesday
Happy pancake day!
We’ve entered the pancake pandemonium stage here at the matcha headquarters. We spent the morning creating these sultry little beauties for a more health-conscious pancake day.
Pancakes – 100g Spelt Flour, 1 Free Range Egg, Oat Milk, 2 Tbs Baking Powder
2 x tsp Organic OMGTEA Matcha Powder
Organic Pro-biotic Yogurt
Fruit syrup (If you’re feeling a bit more indulgent)
Whisk the eggs, spelt flour, oat milk & baking powder in a bowl until mixed
Pour some coconut oil in a pan and heat
Pour the mixture into the pan to create light fluffy pancakes and flip your way to a healthy Shrove Tuesday!
Pre-mix the organic matcha and yoghurt and mix until the vibrant green is revealed
Pour the yoghurt over the pancakes
Add blueberries (we used these because they’re full of antioxidants) or any other fruit you might fancy
Finish, with a sprinkle of matcha powder through a tea strainer
Open your favourite book & enjoy.
TIPS TO AVOID SUGAR CRASHES & BINGES:
Feeling sick after gorging yourself with an abundance of sugar, milk, eggs and let’s be honest, chocolate spread after pancake day? Us too. It’s time to change our ways!
It can feel impossible to dodge the sugar bullet train that is the 21st century. Everything is laden with preservatives, sugar, chemical, MSG, colouring and flavourings and who knows what else. How are we supposed to avoid it? We’ve got some smashing tips for you lovely matchaholics to test out:
- HYDRATE. water. water. water. Hankering for a doughnut? Down a pint of water, it will calm your taste buds, and distract the cravings in your stomach, as well as naturally hydrating you, which is likely to reduce your cravings for food substances as 9/10 us tricky human beings are more thirsty than we are particularly hungry, our brains sometimes get confused.
- CUPBOARD CONTROL. If it’s not in the house, chances are, you won’t be bothered to actually put your shoes on, change out of your onesie and face the shame of making an unsolicited trip to the off-licence to buy a bar of chocolate.
- STARRY-EYED. Star jumps, squats, sit-ups, running up the stairs 3 times. Kickstarting your metabolism. You can’t be peckish when you’re exercising, it just happens after you stop. Maybe
- SECOND GUESSING. Ask yourself? Be honest, shamefully honest. Do you really want to eat it? Is it going to do anything good for your body? What nutrients is it giving you? The answer is probably always nothing.
- MAKE IT UP WITH A MATCHA. Matcha helps boost metabolism, shift excess pounds, break down foods, and ease weight loss efforts. As long as you are enjoying a varied and balanced lifestyle & diet, you’re doing great. Its impossible to eat and exercise well 100% of the time. Aim for an 80% success rate with eating well. The occasional choppy binge won’t harm your arteries or instantly make you gain weight. We’re not saying don’t eat sugary snacks every so often, after all, there’s nothing better for the soul than light indulgence with friends and laughter. So laugh on, nourish your body, and get whisking.